Thursday, April 05, 2007

the no bake policy

Summer's fast approaching (although you wouldn't say that from looking out my window - with all the snow-covered streets) and magazines are breaking out the bikini, tank tops and shorts selections. But rarely do I see satisfactory sunscreen coverage. I got Teenglow in the mail today and there was the obligatory page dedicated to stating what a sunscreen was, the importance of wearing it, the different brands, etc. As soon as I saw the words Life Brand Essentials Sunblock, I had to put down the magazine. Here is the essential tip for buying sun screen:

Don't be cheap. That doesn't mean that it had to be La Mer or cost $400 per jar, but I'd suggest staying away from brands such as Life or Coppertone, since they usually make your face look as if you took an oil bath.
And don't think that a foundation spiked with SPF 15
will cover you properly. "Most of us apply foundation only where we need it or
we use a light layer, which doesn't add up to enough protection," says NYC
dermatologist Lisa Airan. (from
iVillage)

and more alarmingly...
If the prospect of cancer isn't enough of a deterrent, keep in mind that sun
exposure is the cause of almost all wrinkles and age spots.

So what products give you the coverage without the greasy look or sticky skin?

La Roche-Posay High Protection UVA-UVB Sunblock Lotion with SPF 45

This is more of a lotion for those summer days when the sun is at its hottest as wearing such a high SPF is not comfortable enough for everyday. Absorbs very quickly and doesn't leave any white residue.

Marcelle Hypoallergenic Suncreen with SPF 30

Marcelle products continue to impress me. I usually slather it on generously in the morning, and in about five minutes, it all absorbs, leaving a glowing complexion (all you need is a sweep of blush and you're good to go).

Also worth looking into (especially if you're looking for a more inexpensive option) is L'Oreal Ombre range of sunscreens. I've used one last summer and it is top notch.

I'm looking into buying another one (either from Clinique or Vichy) so I'll keep you guys updated on how well those work.

The Make up and Beauty Blog also has some suggestions (although I'd recommend getting a higher SPF than 15)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

View blog reactions