Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blast from the past

I'd like to take you to a pre-Civil War time, to the time of cinched waists, flaring skirts and oversized sleeves, when a man called Franz Xaver Winterhalter did paintings of royalty (was appointed court painter by French king, Louis-Philippe).Portrait of Madame Barbe de Rimsky-Korsakov, done in 1864. (Technically, not pre-Civil War, but I'll let it slip.)

Portrait of Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria, painted in 1864.


The Empress Eugenie Surrounded by Her Ladies in Waiting, painted in 1855.

pics/info from wikipedia

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Moi said...

Do you know anything about the style in Spain for summer? If you could help me I would really appreciate it. I am going for about a month and I am trying to plan some outfits to bring.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

Exquisite!

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

View blog reactions