Friday, November 10, 2006

Russian fashion

Science courses have been keeping me busy, but I'm trying to stay on top of the fashion world (because, let's face it--it's much more important).

Namely, five Russian designers are showing their collections at China Fashion Week in Beijing, starting November 19. And not only that, but they're getting a separate day to showcase Russian talent! We're finally moving up in the world.

The five designers: Sergey Teplov, Yulia Nikolaeva, Olga Romina, Julia Dalakian and Tatiana Parfionova.

Parfionova, in St Petersburg earlier this year:


And here's a bit of Russian Fashion Week '06 in Moscow overview.

Natalia Valevskaya:



Katya Mosina:




You know, I've never been a blind Russian patriot ('cuz, you know, I'm not Russian... at least not directly) but I'll admit that the Russians do have a distinct look. The clothes by Ms Mosina remind me of the cool stylish figures I read about in my Mom's Russian fashion magazines when I was but a girl of eight. But then on the other hand... there are the walking disasters that have "Russian" written all over it, such as the woman clothed in the beige sweatsuit with Bermuda shorts horrorshow. And, dear God, are those little carpet rectangles sewn in on her shoulder?

Be warned, dear readers: that is exactly the uniform of a middle-aged woman trying to desparately retain her youth by wearing hideous ill-fitting ensembles.

Well, I'm off to study nucleotides and endosymbiotic theory. Hope you all have a fantastic weekend.




Russian Fashion Week in Moscow

Russians in Beijing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

View blog reactions