Friday, November 17, 2006

Bags of our fathers

I grew up in a small village in southern Ukraine. When I was a little girl, my mother began to make trips to Odessa, where she bought wholesale products, which she later sold in our town for a profit. To make these trips, by bus no less, one required fairly sturdy, cheap bags that would be big enough to carry a fair amount of product and easy to replace if one happens to break. I remember these bags as though it was yesterday because they remained with our family throughout my childhood, when my parents actively made a decent living in sales. Big, rectangular, with a red, blue and white pattern, they were often utilized in my home.

Marc Jacobs obviously thought the same thing, because here they are in their fleamarket glory:


Now, this picture is truly Ukrainian. Lots of layering to keep warm into the winter, a weary face, flower-like hair accessories that resemble curlers, and a handy bag to store your produce in. You can't help but think that in a minute this girl is going to peek out of the house, see her dirty son, and yell at him for getting mud on his clothes again.



Louis Vuitton SS07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

View blog reactions