Monday, November 27, 2006

What makes perfume so sweet

I live in a world where the latest perfume release is inherently irrelevant. I'm not an obsessed collector nor am I a girl who picks out a bottle and for years on becomes the Girl Who Wears This Particular Designer Scent. This could be because I grew in a small little town where it was unlikely you'd be assalted with heavily applied latest version of Lily of the Valley-type abomination, unless you sat near the 30-somethings with the badly dyed hair. (In Toronto, elevators and subway trains are breeding sites for purgent mixing of different incorrectly-applied fragrances, resulting in watering eyes and the inability to breathe).

And don't get me wrong, it's not as though I'm set against perfume. I'd love to be a proud owner of Chanel No 5 or similar some such fragrance. But as with other designer artifacts, I don't buy things that don't appeal to me just because of their label. (I passed up on a vintage brown YSL luggage bag for that very same reason -- it may have been designer, but there's no point in buying something as scuffed and hideous unless you're planning to use it as your next residence). And so every time I dutifully unfold the little samples in magazines, I always think with a certain naive hope Maybe this is the one... before my nostrils are invaded by something that smells like household soap or an $80 rip-off of Calgon.

But when I read about Sarah Jessica Parker's perfume commercial shoot in Paris in December's Vogue, I was ready to be brought to the other side if by nothing else but the fact that it's SJ and the gorgeous Lacroix dress she is wearing.




Celebrity Mound

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah Jessica Parker for life. To tell the truth though, the perfume isnt for me.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great photo. Capturing something so glamorous from a distance with the sheen reflecting on the pavement. Very cool.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

View blog reactions