Tuesday, December 05, 2006

How Vogue can you go?

In the world of fashion, Vogue magazine is considered the cream of the crop and a highly revered publication. You are unlikely to find a fashionista worth her salt who doesn't know the name Anna Wintour. Little girls would flip through pages of lacquered individuals dressed in impeccable clothing and wish that someday it would be them strolling in designer clothes (at least it was true for me).

But like with most things, Vogue's reputation seems to have outgrown its actual voice in terms of real fashion. Celebrities and heiresses have taken the main spotlight and truly stylish women have been cast out in fear of alienating their readers (all right, all right, they still regularly feature SJP--but really, we get the picture). Increasing numbers of articles are completely trivial drivel that's pathetically used as padding.

Now, were this any other topic that has been covered as extensively in the interwebbing sphere, I'd led it to rest for fear of being irrelevant but these points are even more evident in the December issue. At first I debated whether or not to pick it up at all. The cover (Kidman's frazzled hair, her bored and contemptous smile, the dull colour scheme) seemed to warn me of the hollow content in the pages of this so-called Fashion Bible. I went against my better judgement and decided to purchase it so I could persue the pages at my leisure.

Andre Leon Talley (a man who rubs me the wrong way, to tell you the truth) gives his opinions on the Spring ready-t0-wear 2007 collection. I imagine him and Anna Wintour sitting in a lavishly decorated room, delicately sipping over-priced wine and talking about a preference of clean, well-tailored Chanel suits over the more modern woman-armour from Marc Jacobs and McQueen. Then they would spot another fashion powerhouse, cooly peck each other on the cheek before sitting back down, content that they are easily the most well-known fashion personalities. What I am trying to say is that, in the privacy of their homes, where tabloids can't axe them for their thoughts, I have no doubt that Ms Wintour and Talley think themselves vastly superior to other mere Earthlings who can't attend whatever fashion shows they wish, and don't have the privelege of inciting awe whenever they go out. And that's absolutely fine - it's not against the law to have an ego the size of Jupiter, but there's only a certain amount of time that has to pass before this schtick gets tired and the world moves on.

And while I'm at it, can I suggest to Vogue to fire their layout editor? Going from a fascinating article about Oriana Fallaci's brave reporting to an asinine recount of pregnancy difficulties just highlights Vogue's loss of the magic touch. And placing Paris Hilton's tacky Heiress perfume advert next to Avon Walk for Breast Cancer is just tasteless. If there's a person who's less entitled to fame and money, I've yet to find them.

The Kidman cover article was a bit stale. Yes, Nicole has a new film out, and you mean to tell me she is down to earth, but still, you know, beautiful, and loves living in privacy, and loves being a mother and is totally fulfilled and content with her husband and children?

Really? Wow! But didn't we hear this about... oh, say, every female celebrity who has ever married/had children?

Yawn.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isabel said...

Eek, I definitely agree. I need a job at Vogue. I will make it a better magazine, I swear.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

View blog reactions